Saturday, March 17, 2012

Batman Under the red Hood

Hello, Spongey here

"Under the Red Hood" was better than "The Dark Knight."
Was too.
Was too.
Was too infinity.

You can bitch about it all you want, but you can’t change the fact this is my favorite batman film. You go jerk off to Bale all you want, and you may suck Tim Burton’s dick when he’s not busy with Johnny Depp.
I hope no one among my readers was thinking “What about Joel?”

Okay, I am be stretching my love for this film for the sake of comedy, but I do feel this way in a sense. I love the 1989 film, and I also love 2008’s the dark knight. 

My fave overall batman work Is the 90’s animated series. Hot damn is it good! So why is THIS  movie my fave instead of say, mask of the phantasm?

I have yet to see  it.
Plus, this film has all I love about batman, and more. It may be not the BEST batman film in a critical sense, but this film was made for me
It has action, drama, very light comedy in the drama, and Kelly Hu.
Yes.

This film is written, acted, and animated perfectly. I can’t think of a single big issue that bugged me.
I have not seen any other DC animated film, but I hear they are good. This is  thought to be the best of the bunch. So I may check them out if they are still good. 
I may not be a hardcore comic book guy, but I do look into them and find out what makes them tick and what makes a good or bad comic. Why? So I don’t look like a dumbass when I get into a conversation about them.
So my batman knowledge is strictly what I can find, and I only say this since it Is a comic book movie. This film is based on some batman comics, and what from I know, there are differences that make it BETTER. I won’t list most of them, but one is quite interesting.
Instead of my recent play by play style, I will do more of a normal review. Beware, this has MAJOR spoilers, so if you have yet to see the film, go see it. Skip to my final thoughts. 
I know there will be that one asshole who hasn’t seen it that keeps reading and will bitch about my spoilers. I just know it
Here’s our premise for the film.
Batman faces his ultimate challenge as the mysterious Red Hood takes Gotham City by firestorm. One part vigilante, one part criminal kingpin, Red Hood begins cleaning up Gotham with the efficiency of Batman, but without following the same ethical code. Killing is an option. And when the Joker falls in the balance between the two, hard truths are revealed and old wounds are reopened.

There’s the basic plot. There is a hell of a lot more than just that. There’s a great storyline that keeps you on your toes. It gets quite confusing, and it’s hard to put in words, but in my mind, it simply means it’s hard to know what the movie is before seeing it. So you must see it to know what I mean. 
I like this as it stops from people bashing it through simply plot summaries. Even the batman wiki’s in depth on still doesn’t have that feel and you can question stuff in it that makes sense in the context of the film
With that said, let’s look at the characters and their voices.
Batman is voiced by Bruce Greenwood. OH NO IT’S AN ANIMATED BATMAN NOT VOICED BY KEVIN CONROY, RUN FOR THE HILLS!  But really, he does a great job. He’s no Kevin,. But I liked him. Batman is…batman. I have little to say about him. ITS BATMAN! But seriously, Batman is cool in this movie. The conflict going on with him is deeply interesting ,as I will discuss later.
And we also have Jason Todd aka this movie’s Robin. He is voiced by Jensen Ackles. This is the characters first appearance outside of the comics and…well there was a poll by DC to see if the character would be killed off or not. They voted yes. The story that came out of that was one of the two stories that this film takes from. So yes, the movie opens with him DYING…then he is brought back to life by magic and becomes the red hood.
It makes sense in context.
 Thankfully, they made him awesome here. His relationship with batman is fantastic and I love the storyline that goes with it. Trust me, it’s great.
Next we have “Nightwing”, batman’s current sidekick. He is voiced…By Neil Patrick Harris Can I get a FUCK YES? Sadly, he doesn’t do much. He  does a good job and is quite funny, but he isn’t in it often. However, he serves the story when he can and he kicks some ass. I think that’s cool!
As a Teen, he Is voice by Phineas himself, Vincent Martella. Interesting bit there

There’s a couple other good Characters I don’t need to go into detail   We have Jason Isaacs as Ra's al Ghul. He’s cool I guess.

There’s our main villain besides…someone I will mention later, Black Mask, voiced by Wade Williams. He is a glorious ham, and so much fun to watch. I couldn’t keep my eyes away from the film when he was on screen. Of course he’s not the only reason I had to keep my eyes on the screen.
The other is his assistant Ms. Li, voiced by Kelly Hu. Ah miss, hu, we meet again..

Huh? Sorry, I was making a joke out of my crush on her. 

Tv tropes lists Li as a Sexy Secretary.  I am not alone on this! Her character is a deadpan snarker, and thus, Hu makes this is very entertaining part of the movie.

BLACK MASK: When he shows up to shut us down, have a party waiting for him. And when I say party, I actually mean a whole lot of people who are gonna kill him!
LI: I Figured.

There’s more where that came from.
At one point…li is bound and gagged by the joker
No comment.
In the comic this film is based on Ms li..
*RESEARCH*
…A MAN?!
BONER LEVEL: 0

And “she” also died. Ms Li lives. So the tradition of Kelly Hu’s characters dying is not kept. Good, but if i see Stacy Hirano dying soon, I know who to blame!
Hu also has a small  (Unaccredited) role as Unnamed Female Assain that tries to kill Red Hood. She lives as well. Yea, she’s hot too.

And last, but not least. We have the joker! Here, is voiced by…John DiMaggio?! Freaking Bender? Damn it, the joker is ruined!
*ONE VIEWING LATER*
…MOMMY I SHIT MY PANTS.

Yes, this joke is on the Ledger side. He is freaking scary when he wants to be. Somehow, John blends his trademark funny voice with a great performance  The films opens the joker with him  BEATING ROBIN TO DEATH. Yes, there is a hint of blood.
Did I mention this movie is PG-13?
Yes, this film is quite dark. It’s been called the animated dark knight for a reason folks.

I think I ran out of funny things to talk about today. So instead of being smart, I will head into my final thoughts. This blog is short…
Final Thoughts:

While “The Dark Knight” may the best critically, I enjoyed this one more. Yes, TDK the 89 film are both amazing, but…this was just awesome.
The story line is very well done, and the characters are  given some great development. The cast all do a great job in their roles, and the animation is of course, great.

I love the deep issues the film talks about with the Batman/Re hood thing. It also has some funny moments with black mask, and all the villains are great, especially the joker.
This movie does have a downer ending, but it’s uplifting in a way. See it to know what I mean,. The dark tone is perfect in this movie, and it’s a delight to watch.
Yes, The Dark knight may be better by miles, but I am not kidding when I say this is my personal favorite batman film.
Suck it.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment