Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pixar-athon #4: Monsters Inc


Hello, Spongey here.

Welcome back to Pixar-athon!



I’ve been somewhat contained so far. I’ve raved about these films, but I haven’t been OMGAMAZING about them. Until now. From this one on out, this will be the pixar fanboy hour. 

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

This, is Monsters Inc



Welcome to Monstropolis, a world where the monsters are just regular folks like you and me. When they hide in your bed/closet/hamper and scare you, it isn't because it gives them any sort of thrill but simply because it's their job. Their world, linked to ours through closet doors, derives all its electrical power from our fear.

Now meet our heroes, James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (John Goodman) and Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal). Sulley, is one of the best "scarers" in the city. Mike is his partner, best friend, and roommate, who spends his after hours courting the receptionist Celia.

Life is great — until one of the extremely poisonous fuel sources enters their world and threatens everything. Yes, a human child! Doom-doom-doom! (Actually, she's rather adorable.) Sulley and Mike's friendship becomes increasingly strained as they try to get the little terror back to her world without getting contaminated or arrested. Along the way, they stumble upon a conspiracy that threatens to undermine their life's work — and possibly their lives.

This is another film I’ve seen dozens of times. I got it on VHs. I watch it whenever it’s one….except for last Saturday when it was on Disney channel, cuz I was soon gonna watch it for pixar-athon. This one of those movies i quote endlessly, and I can pretty much quote the entire script.

Yeah, this movie is simply amazing in every sing way. It’s one of those movies that has a lot to offer. All the creative monsters, and the small things regarding the monster world is just incredible and you can have several long discussions about these things. It makes you think, and I like that.

The film has tons of little in jokes that you may not catch the first time around. I think I have most of them, but there may be more. (It helps most of them are explained in the DVD extras…)

The film is rich is in visual quality, with some real top notch animation. The creators must had a real hard time making all this, and the finished film is so good you hardly think about that.
Okay, let’s tone down my fanboy-ness and let’s discuss the characters.

Both Goodman and Crystal both do good jobs. I especially have to give props to Billy Crsytal.  You think he would be annoying in this film, but he’s actually the funniest part! He brings a lot of humor to a movie that’s already really funny. The animation also helps in this, giving him great facial expressions that are really funny.
Oh, goodman is too. He makes sully very likable which I will go into in a bit.

Boo is actually pretty cool,. In any other movie she’d be an annoying little cu-…jerk. But she’s very interesting. Her relationship  our heros is also great. The little moments that lead to them accepting a HUMAN lead to some adorable, and funny scenes.

There’s also many other characters I like. A fan favorite seems to be Roz, this grumpy chick that makes mike do paper work.

She’s voiced by a man by the way. (Bob Peterson, who later be Dug in “Up”)

But my fave minor character is George. There’s a great running gag  where a kids sock keeps getting on him, which attract  the attention of the very ocd CDA, who …well just watch the movie and find out. It’s hilarious!
and I actually liked Celia and mike’s realtinship a lot. It’s done mostly for laughs, which is good. It’s pretty coo. I also like that it has major involvement with the plot, but I won’t spoil that.

Now for the villains..

First is Randall (Steve Buscemi) who competes with sully over the top scarer position. He’s really cool, and in a serious movie, he’d be scary as hell, but thankfully this is not a biting drama about monsters.  He has this whole  chameleon blending thing going on, which is cool. Oh and he plans to suck the scream out of little kids with this big machine, yea, he can be kinda scary…

Anyway, now for the true villain..Mr Watenoose. He’s the big leader of monsters Inc. for all we know, he’s a good guy and is bugged by this whole energy crisis thing. Then (Spoilers, but hey you’ve all seen this movie) it turns he’s operating this whole plan. Perhaps Randall is the villain for doing most of this, or maybe waternoose is for planning in it. You make the call!

Speaking of that ,I love the plot. All the twists and turns that happen in the 2nd half are great. It honestly had me guessing at times. The overall best scene/part is when they get banished to the hymala.s it’s great. There’s funny bits, awesome bits, and heartwarming bits. This movie in a nutshell.

And that leads to John Ratzenburger’s role, the abominable snowman...who makes snow cones. His screen time is short, but it’s truly fantastic.  And his snowcone actually helps in the plot…but I won’t spoil that. It’s too awesome.

And now let’s get the easter eggs out of the way. Near the end, Randall ends up trapped in the human world/ We see him inside a trailer, and the pizza planet truck next to it. Infact, this is the exact same area the truck was, in “A bugs life”.
On the top scarers leader board, under Sulley and Randall, is a monster named Ranft.  Obvious reference to pixar employee, joe ranft. 

As far as I know, there’s no A113. I have no idea where it is, and during my research I didn’t find it. The pixar wiki says “, Pete Docter mentions he believed that it was on one of the doors in a hallway inside the factory”.. I have no idea how true that is.

Near the end, in Boo’s room, Boo has a Jessie toy, and the ball from the Luxo Jr Short.  This started the pixar tradition of putting a reference to their next film in the previous film. Boo has a toy of Nemo in there. That’s it for that.

There’s tons of other in jokes and such, but you can find all that yourself.
Also, this was the last pixar film to feature outtakes. This sucks, cuz the outtakes were always funny. All the outtakes in a film feature a cameo from a pixar character. In ABL it was woody, in TS2 it was Flick and Heimlich. Here it’s Rex. I won’t spoil how it happens though…

Oh, and since I pretty much have to say this…

GET THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM OR SO HELP ME

…it makes sense in  context.


…Wow I’ve run out of things to say. I swear I thought I could say more. But I guess that’s it.
So Monsters Inc is a great pixar film with likeable characters and of course, hilarious moments.

This is spongey saying, the chicken crossed the road because he has a fetish for getting ran over.

No comments:

Post a Comment