Monday, February 6, 2012

Pixar-athon #5: Finding Nemo

Hello, Spongey here.

Welcome back to Pixar-athon!


Okay, before we begin I must say that I will try to contain my fanboy-ness for this review. Why? Well there’s tons of it prepared for a later review in our marathon so I want to save my energy. So what that out of the way, let us begin!

If you ask my friends in real life (Yes I have friends. Shocking, I know) about their favorite pixar film,
(Only the people i know btw, on the internet, it's different) you may get many responses. But what’s the most common response? Well, that’s what we’ll talk about today

This, is Finding Nemo


Premise time!
The film  centers on a neurotic clownfish named Marlin. After losing his mate and all but one of their 400+ eggs, Marlin becomes overprotective of his remaining son, Nemo. On his first day of school, Nemo gets fed up with Marlin's fear of the ocean, and ends up disobeying his father's orders by going near a boat. Soon after, Nemo gets kidnapped "rescued" by a scuba diver, and Marlin, going against all his fears, goes off to find him. Marlin joins up with a forgetful blue tang named Dory, and they brave all sorts of obstacles to, well, find Nemo.
Meanwhile, the scuba diver turns out to be a Sydney dentist who puts Nemo in his office's aquarium, and plans to give the fish to his niece, Darla, for her upcoming birthday. The other fish in the tank, most of whom are somewhat insane, decide to help Nemo escape.

This is the pixar film I’ve seen the most times. I saw in theaters when it came out, and I loved it. I got on VHS and I watched it so much I think I know as much as the people who made it! Infact, this a film I can watch at anytime and never get sick of it. One time Disney channel showed It, I saw it, and they aired an encore the next day at noon…and I watched it then too! I like it that much. And yes, I do have it on DVD now. 

This was pixar’s biggest hit money wise, and fan wise, before a couple other films took it’s place. I think this may  due to its massive appeal for both kids and adults.  

For the kids, we have funny fish, a big adventure, and  likable ol’ nemo.

For the adults, we have slaughter in the first five minutes, harsh reminders about the true nature of an ocean ecology, and , a neurotic father whose traumatic death of his partner scarred him for life.

You know-for kids!

Yep, this movie is dark. I never noticed when I was younger, since  it does a good job of not dwelling in darkness. If that makes sense. It’s a deep movie at points, but it’s not boring or depressing. 

This is the textbook definition of a film that appeals to both kids and adults. This seems to be the default pixar film for the kids I knew…besides Cars, but that’s for later.

Anyway, now the characters.
Our leads are Marlin, Nemo, and dory.  I’ll start with nemo. Being a kid, he could have easily been annoying and unlikable. But no, he’s awesome.  He has complex issues going on with his dad, as marlin is over-protective and doesn’t let nemo do anything. Of course as we know, bad things came from that. Eventually, nemo and marlin both learn about oh you know this by now.  

I don’t need to analyze the complex stuff, since film critics already did that for me! I’m just here to talk about stuff a dumb white teenager would think of…well not really. If I did I’d say:

LOL LOOK AT THE FISHY

..wait, too young.

Never mind, let’s move on.

Dory is a fan favorite. Why? She’s the comedy relief…and she’s FUNNY.  Her main thing is that she suffers from short term memory loss. This is mostly used for a gag, but later on we see that is a serious issue for her, and once she starts to remember stuff more often, thanks to marlin, she wants to keep him around, and when marlin wants to ditch her, which happens twice btw, it doesn’t go well.

Damn this movie is deep when you think about it. I guess that’s more to love.

Marlin is voiced by Albert Brooks, by the way. He’s good, I guess. But again ,I must give credit to the big celeb, Ellen Deggenress. I’m not her biggest fan, but she completely stole the movie. Simply, a perfect performance.  

There’s other great characters too. Bruce the shark (Named after the nickname Stephen speilberg gave the shark in Jaws) , who is a vegetarian that holds a shark version of AA, crush the turtle, who is like a ninja turtle if he stayed in the water,  and some others. Crush is voiced by the director himself, Andrew Stanton!

Ever since I was a kid, I wondered if dory’s memory thing was actually accurate to real amnesia.  Let me look it up



…so anyway, we also the aquarium fish. We have Peach, a starfish that’s very smart…unlike that other starfish we all know.  There’s also flo…who is insane. And of course, gill, the wise leader who is very anxious to escape, and goes through some more deep shit.

Oh, and nigel the seagull, who’s super awesome.

As for the villain…there is none. This movie has no villain. Even darla is just a kid, who doesn’t know any better.  Bruce is just misunderstood, and he only chases our heroes when he smells dory’s blood.

Yes blood. Having fun yet, kids?

Also, yes, the animation is fantastic but that’s a given.

And as for john ratzenburger’s character , this time he is a big group of moonfish (So I guess he’s playing a ton of characters…they just act as one) that form stuff to help get their point across. Dory and marlin ask them for directions.  He...they’re…uh…ratzenburger is pretty funny. His scene is one of the best in the film.
I can’t choose my fave scene, since this movie has many amazing scenes. Three scenes stick out in my mind: The jellyfish scene, the Crush scene, and the whale scene. All amazing and help sum up the awesome-ness of this movie.

…I’m running out of things to talk about already. Wow, that was quick.

Anyway, is this MY fave pixar film? No. it’s REALLY close. But not quite. Then what IS? You’ll find out..

Finding Nemo is not only a great pixar film, it’s a great film period. It has funny moments, fantastic storyline, and deep issues for people to love.

This is spongey saying, I didn’t mention the MINE seagulls for a reason.












No comments:

Post a Comment